04 June 2020

The Story of Alexander Graham Bell (1939)

I'm not usually into biopics, but I have a soft spot for Bell, so I gave this one a chance. It took me four sessions to get through it because it was soooo sloooow. Young Don Ameche convinced as a thoughtful scientist who displayed occasional passionate outbursts about his invention. Luminous Loretta Young swanning around in flouncy late 19th-century gowns was kind of fun to watch. The scene where Bell's voice first travels over the wire was exciting, with a young Henry Fonda as Watson. My favourite line was at the very end, when some businessmen offer Bell a deal and a settlement to resolve a court battle over the telephone patent, he says to them, "I'll have to ask my wife." !!! That was how important Mabel was to him throughout his life, so I'm glad they included that part of their romance in the film. BW 98 min.


No comments: