20 March 2010

Karaoke has the power to save the world

In my 2010, my year of trying new things, I have now participated in karaoke three times. I feel like a kid again when I get up at that mike, even though I can't really sing, but I try, try, try. During my second karaoke adventure, I totally rocked the Bangles, "Manic Monday."

The glory of karaoke resides in the atmosphere of support, encouragement, and conviviality that emanates from the crowd. Everyone there wants to sing their hearts out too, so we all cheer each other on, clap raucously, sing along, enjoy the shared cathartic nature of rocking out to a favourite tune.
All that good will in one room fills me with hope for humanity. The first time I went, when a friend explained the nature of the karaoke experience to me, I said, "Karaoke has the power to change the world."
This week, two friends proffered completely different reactions to my telling them about my karaoke experiences. One laughed at me a bit, groaned, and grew tired of my giddy rants about the wacky and wonderful times that karaoke outings provide; the other said "that is one of the most inspiring things I've heard for a long time" and now wants to try karaoke together the next time we meet. I have to admit that I was the sceptical one initially, hearing stories about fun and frivolity at karaoke, until I tried it; now I'm a convert, I find it inspiring, and cathartic, therapeutic even; and rockin' to a song, like "Manic Monday" fills me with a sense of achievement that bolsters my mood and confidence for days. I will fully admit that I may be a karaoke addict; as I've noted in other forums, though, I don't need any help with that. 
What a gift, to find an activity to truly enjoy again, after my 2009 was so dull that I asked a friend who studies psychology if a person could actually die of boredom. Thanks to my friends who have shared this gift with me, and I hope to continue to ENJOY this world-saving hobby that is karaoke.

3 comments:

Sonya said...

I'm with you -- though I haven't raoked -- I think there must be something very liberating and empowering about mustering up the nerve to sing in front of a room of strangers. I can't think of a more terrifying prospect, but at the same time, to be able to conquer such fear would be exhilarating. I'm sure the cider helps. :)

J. said...

yes, yes, yes: always much imbibing with the 'raoke!

Lady Z said...

Lady Buttons -- you HAVE to join Team Raoke! It's too much fun.